So things have been picking up here. We’ve been busy planning for the launch of Drink Laredo the magazine. We’ve also been having meetings with potential clients. We’ve picked up a local bar. I designed their new menu. It’s quite nice if I do say so myself. Now we are building their website with a shop in it. Hopefully it gets us more clients through referrals or word of mouth.
I haven’t had any time to work on more t-shirt designs for my Cafe Press shop. I still have so many ideas I need to see through. I haven’t been selling as much since Christmas passed. It’s slowed down dramatically. Ah well, I think the more designs I have the more chances are I will sell.
I’m really excited about our up coming magazine. We’ve started the hiring procedure. At times I get nervous because, well, I’ve never ran a magazine before. I didn’t go to school for it. I’m just doing my thing. I know there’s a lot to learn and if I knew where exactly where to look I’d be reading or learning. There are so many different aspects of setting up your local magazine.
- You have to set up distribution points. Where are people going to be able to pick up a copy of your magazine?
- You have to talk to all of the businesses/locations and ask for permission.
- There is printing. Where are you going to get your magazine printed? What kind of paper, size, and how many copies?
- You have to organize your writers, photographers, sales, and distribution people.
- How is your magazine going to print without any sponsors? You must sell ads.
- Now that I mentioned ads you must also price them. Do some research and find comparable magazines and try to find out what they charge. You might want to start with introductory rates since you are a new start up magazine.
- You have sales people, they want to get paid. What is the percentage of commission that you will pay them? Will you be out selling ads?
- On that subject, you will most likely have some employees right? You can’t do it all on your own. How much are you going to pay your graphic designer, intern, secretary, accountant, or any other person you might need in your team?
These are just some of the things I’ve recent had to ask myself and answer. I’m sure there are a whole lot more things that will come up. I do this because nobody tells me that I can’t. I do it because I’ve set my mind to it and because I believe I can do it best. Come March we’ll have our own magazine printed. I just might blog about my journey there. If there is anybody in the same boat, has questions, or suggestions please comment. Thanks!